Sew Stylish, a quarterly sewing magazine, has the goal of
making consumers fall in love with sewing.
Sew Stylish is very well designed and the content does a
tremendous job of establishing its niche. It has the look
and feel of a fashion magazine with articles on fabric, techniques
and fitting. The sewing tips and helpful illustrations guide
the novice as well as the expert on how to create runway inspired
Sew Stylish is also successful in relaying that sewing is
not about arts and crafts, it is about individual style. Sew
Stylish has set the bar high and placed itself among the top
launches of the year.
1. What do you consider the single most important achievement your magazine has accomplished in today’s marketplace?
Inspiring and instructing the new sewer.
2. Looking back, what was the most important hurdle you were able to overcome?
Combining great sewing instruction with gorgeous fashion sewing projects
3. What was the most pleasant surprise?
The overwhelmingly positive market response and the rapid brand recognition of Sew Stylish
4. What is the biggest challenge you are facing today?
Continuing to come up with projects that are not only beautiful but provide a curriculum for expanding sewer’s skills
5. Imagine you have a magic wand and you can strike the magazine and make it human? Describe that human being.
Creative, expressive, talented, resourceful, beautiful, fun, engaging, smart, friendly, knowledgable,
6. The number of new magazine launches has been on a steady increase. What advice do you offer to someone wanting to start a new magazine?
You have to feel it in your gut as an editor---if you can’t connect with the product with great passion, your readers (and advertisers) won’t either
7. Finish this sentence: in 2011 your magazine will be…
6x/year subscription with ever expanding digital brand (web, DVDs, television, etc.)